Are you Tracking Project Schedule Regularly?
There can be only 2 answers to the above question. Yes and No.
I am appalled when I hear PMs say No to the above question. I hear all sorts of myriad funny reasons for not tracking Project Schedule. Here are some of them:
- Why should I track Project Schedule? The project is going on just fine.
- Oh! The customer demanded to prepare a Schedule and we prepared it. Now, there is no reason to waste more time on it.
- There was a project audit some time ago. We prepared a Schedule to keep Auditors happy. Otherwise developing or tracking it is not at all required.
- Tracking Project Schedule is just a waste of time. It does not provide any tangible benefit.
- I never track Project Schedule and I have been managing projects for donkey years.
- Tracking Project Schedule is not a priority at this time.
But many other PMs say Yes to the above question.
It is true that many PMs do track Project Schedule regularly. But some of them do not understand how to do it properly. They would just enter actual dates and/or duration and be done with it. They do not analyse the Actual Project data to see the variances, modify Project Network as necessary, do forecasting etc.
A good PM must use a Project Scheduling tool like RationalPlan to develop and track Project Schedule. The tracking can be done without a tool also but a tool helps in saving time and improving productivity.
In the next article I will throw some more light on what is meant by tracking and how one should track the Schedule. But for now let us understand why Project Schedule tracking is important. Let us take a look at some of its benefits. (more…)