Resource leveling tool.

Do you need help related to existing features or need a new feature? This is the place where you can tell about it.

Resource leveling tool.

Postby jdubois » Fri Nov 11, 2011 2:49 pm

A key feature I use in Microsoft Project is the leveling tool. It will look at my resource assignments and reschedule tasks to prevent overallocation. I could really use that in RationalPlan. Even the Resource Leveling feature is of little use. Sure it clearly shows that my resource is over allocated, but does nothing to help me rectify the situation. I can't take the resource off the task, I would just like RP to reschedule based on priorities or at least make it easy to reschedule to a time when the resource is available.
jdubois

Re: Resource leveling tool.

Postby lucian » Fri Nov 11, 2011 5:29 pm

Discussed at support ...
lucian

Postby MFloor » Wed May 01, 2013 9:10 am

And what's the result of the discussion? We want this feature also.
MFloor

Postby lucian » Wed May 01, 2013 9:51 am

Automatic leveling was not yet implemented, the latest development went into the concurrent work on same projects (even same tasks) and into the cloud option. The reason of course was that lots of our users asked for this while the automatic leveling is seen somehow as a feature that will rather mess things up than really help ...
The problem with the automatic leveling is the amount of “collateral info” the project managers has to consider and which are difficult to be conveyed into the program (tuning the plan with so much info would mean more work than introducing a number of quick artificial dependencies ... )
Automatic leveling usually leads to those funny sayings like "Project Manager is a person who thinks nine women can deliver a baby in one month" ... :)
So for the moment we’re still on the “the project manager can do this better than the application” mode
We are considering however providing tools which will help project managers to level resources in a more efficient manner (suggest PM where to move the task, etc)
lucian

Postby MFloor » Wed May 01, 2013 10:42 am

Quick response, thanks.
Your arguments are valid and clear. Good to know how features requests are assessed.
Regards, Mick
MFloor

Return to Features discussions