RP on Laptops and synching up at HQ

Do you need help related to existing features or need a new feature? This is the place where you can tell about it.

RP on Laptops and synching up at HQ

Postby tubefeed » Tue Aug 17, 2010 7:51 am

We have RP on the network at HQ and have 2 roving Supervisors with laptops (with RP installed).

The plan for a project can be updated at HQ and on the laptop. What is the process for synching the project changes when a laptop comes back to the office and is plugged into the network?

I have read thru the tutorial and the process is not clear.

Any tips or steering in the right direction (in terms of doco) would be greatly appreciated. :)
tubefeed

Re: RP on Laptops and synching up at HQ

Postby lucian » Tue Aug 17, 2010 6:18 pm

Will the laptop have access to your network (via the internet) when off the office ?
In this case, I think you could use the server.
If not, then you might have a problem if the project was updated both on the laptop and at the HQ ...
Please address to support with an email for an in-depth discussion on this.
lucian

Postby tubefeed » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:22 am

No there will be no access to the network away from the office. But if we install Project Server can we use the web for access?
That way, I am hoping that more than one person can access a Project at a time. However if so, I then need to determine whether there is record level locking on the data or whether there is simple project level locking???
tubefeed

Postby lucian » Wed Aug 18, 2010 8:07 am

I think I answered this on support :)
Anyway, as said, if laptops have web access while in the field then it is a good starting point. You can install the server on your network and open it towards the web so laptops can have access to it; this way they will be able to update changes with record-level locking
lucian

Postby bingoBob » Wed Mar 21, 2012 1:29 pm

I'm trying to do something similar, however it's only one user working on the plan. How can I accomplish the following:

I have created a project on the server (v1), and saved the plan locally to a .xrp file (File > Save as). Then when I'm offline/have no access to the server, I open the saved file and make my updates (v2). So having v1 on the server and v2 locally, how do I update the server to have v2?

Any help would be appreciated.
bingoBob

Postby lucian » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:24 pm

If you save the project as a file when remote, then the only way to update when getting back online is to open the server and the file and manually copy/paste from one into another.
One trick which could maybe work is as follow:
- open the latest version from server from the server while you have access there.
- put the laptop to sleep/hibernate (do not close RP)
- go into the field, wake-up your laptop and work there on your project as usual; when done, put the laptop into hibernate mode again (don't close RP)
- when getting back into the office, wake-up your laptop and just save it on to the server

Please let me know if this is working for you
lucian

Postby bingoBob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 11:59 am

Thanks for your help. The suggested steps do work as a workaround for now. A nice feature would be to be able to save these plans to a xrp file and be able to import them to the server, in cases when evaluating different project scenarios. I've noticed the Import project feature, but it just creates copies of all projects on server (am I using it wrong? :? )
bingoBob

Postby lucian » Thu Mar 22, 2012 1:17 pm

Indeed a nicer approach for offline work is on our to-do list, it's just a question of priorities and since workaround was available it was always moved down into the queue :)
Indeed if you import your project it actually means a new project ... So that will import your work but override others' work, etc so not a good way to go, the suggested workaround is far better (that is actually offline work really, only the data are not saved into a file but retained into computer's memory :)
lucian

Postby bingoBob » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:18 pm

Shouldn't have confirmed that it's a workaround, will know for next time. :roll: ;) Thanks for your help.
bingoBob

Return to Features discussions