PERT View ?

Do you need help related to existing features or need a new feature? This is the place where you can tell about it.

PERT View ?

Postby acocq » Sat Mar 10, 2012 8:53 pm

Hi,
beyond the WBS and the Gantt, is there any way to display a PERT-View ?

Cheers,
Andreas
acocq

Re: PERT View ?

Postby lucian » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:45 am

Pert is not available yet still, we don't have too many requests for that, looks somehow obsolete and it is actually the same thing as WBS I guess ... Would you really need/use PERT ?
lucian

Postby tomhad » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:23 pm

it is called the network view or logic view
I am a planner with more than 30 years expeince and when I am building a schedule this is where I usually start getting the logic correct first I am suprised that you are asking if it is used any more
tomhad

Postby tomhad » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:26 pm

lucian wrote:Pert is not available yet still, we don't have too many requests for that, looks somehow obsolete and it is actually the same thing as WBS I guess ... Would you really need/use PERT ?

It was icncoorectly called PERT view in earlier MSProject. It has since been coorectly named as network view in MS Project.

PERT is a risk process for large shcedules to optimise the overall duration.
tomhad

Postby lucian » Sun Dec 30, 2012 3:15 pm

We know what PERT is and the the history of it, I only said that it might not be so largely used later ... We only get someone asking for it once in a year or so and there are thousands of new customers every new year ...
We recommend that at the start of the project to begin with the WBS which will allow a breakdown of the project into smaller, manageable parts then go to Gantt and define dependencies between tasks
lucian

Postby tomhad » Mon Dec 31, 2012 2:22 am

OK
I was thinking about buying, not as a free user.
I would of coure break uo the project into WBS as well as creating a logic network

Just thought that your product was intended to be used by professional planners. If you base your development plans on how many people ask for the basics, sorry but you are not going to get my business after all.

I live in Australia an English speaking country with construction contract law based on the British and USA systems. Contracts are won and lost on the basis of the network diagrams and certainly claims for liquidated damages and delay claims need this diagram

The product looks quite good otherwise.

didnt mean to offend :)

Are you the final arbiter
tomhad

Postby lucian » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:50 pm

So I can understand that it is only the network diagram that you miss here ? :) ( you said it yourself that "The product looks quite good otherwise." :) ).
It could be implemented at some point, it's just that as long as lots of people are asking for things "my resources need to see/update their work from browser" or "my customers need to see how project evolves", etc. then we have to implement those with high priority ... They're professionals too, only they're not maybe that specialized as you are ... (though a lot of customers are in construction business, many of them based in US or UK)
lucian

Postby tomhad » Tue Jan 01, 2013 12:35 pm

Thanks for your feedback

I realise now that this is a work in progress based on requests from the user base

Is there a basic design outline somewhere. Iam a serious user and would like to assist you in creating a product that satisfies expereicned professionals as well as the novice user.

I wrote a paper many years ago titles "toys or tools" when the first PC based software was being introduced. If you relly on the opinions of novice planners there is a risk that your software will not be taken seriously.

If you want second opiniosn try offering via Planning Planet, this is an international group of experienced planners

good luck
tomhad

Postby lucian » Sat Jan 05, 2013 8:56 pm

thanks for the feedback Tom, your suggestions are more than welcome, please send them as a list via email to support and they will addressed individually there
lucian

Postby JonathanR » Mon Apr 28, 2014 12:09 pm

I'm with Tom on this, I use the network diagram as a way of checking the logic of the dependencies has been correctly set up. It it isn't the critical path will be incorrect. It's not critical but it's a useful way of looking at it.
JonathanR

Return to Features discussions