Leveling Panel shows too many resources

Do you need help related to existing features or need a new feature? This is the place where you can tell about it.

Leveling Panel shows too many resources

Postby coach01 » Thu Nov 01, 2012 3:04 pm

Let me start with Excellent Software. Some quirks, but otherwise right to the point and very functional.

Now the complaint :) - In multi-project, all resources from All Projects are shown in Leveling panel. This makes it difficult and frustrating to quickly see only resources related to the Current Project and/or Multiple Projects (if nested) and/or with task filters enabled. If I have 55 resources, and I have 3 people working a project that also may have 2 or three other projects I'm not currently managing, It is laborious to sift through all the additional resource lines to find the over allocations for the 3 people currently being leveled.

Desired functionality: When gantt view is filtered and/or restricted to a single project in Current Project, then only resources associated with the project/filter are visible to the resource leveling pane. Resource load, however should come from the full All Projects.

Also a graphical resource load bar chart would be nice in addition to the color coded text list.

Rational Plan Multi 4.0.4
coach01

Re: Leveling Panel shows too many resources

Postby lucian » Fri Nov 02, 2012 10:02 am

Thanks for the suggestion, this is already on the to-do list and will be implemented soon enough
lucian

Postby coach01 » Fri Nov 02, 2012 2:40 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. Good to hear you're working on it.
coach01

Postby tiberiu » Tue Nov 13, 2012 10:22 am

coach01 wrote:Desired functionality: When gantt view is filtered and/or restricted to a single project in Current Project, then only resources associated with the project/filter are visible to the resource leveling pane. Resource load, however should come from the full All Projects.

This feature was implemented and will be available in version 4.2.
coach01 wrote:Also a graphical resource load bar chart would be nice in addition to the color coded text list.

Could you please detail some more on this request? Perhaps some screenshots... Thank you,
Tibi
tiberiu

Postby coach01 » Fri Jan 04, 2013 3:31 pm

First the good:
Just got done working with v4.2 and I've got to say this is the first time I've participated in a forum associated with a software package where I've actually seen the implementation of topics and functions I've requested. It is refreshing and much appreciated to have a voice. You are doing excellent work and hit my request perfectly. Thank you and keep up the good work!

And always asking for more:
A:
I see that you have implemented a graphical display of load in the Time Sheet. This nicely overlapped on the text data that generate the graphs. Great idea and a better implementation than I was thinking. Can we add that view to the leveling panel in Gantt?

B:
Extending on the leveling panel changes in v4.2, when selecting a current project, the resources restrict to those involved with the project, now when working with All Projects and applying a resource filter, can the leveling panel also show only the resource selected in the filter.
coach01

Postby tiberiu » Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:12 am

coach01 wrote:Just got done working with v4.2 and I've got to say this is the first time I've participated in a forum associated with a software package where I've actually seen the implementation of topics and functions I've requested. It is refreshing and much appreciated to have a voice. You are doing excellent work and hit my request perfectly. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Glad to hear that :) May we use your words as a testimonial on our website?

coach01 wrote:I see that you have implemented a graphical display of load in the Time Sheet ... Can we add that view to the leveling panel in Gantt?

I guess that is a legitimate request. We shall work on it for a future version.

coach01 wrote:Extending on the leveling panel changes in v4.2, when selecting a current project, the resources restrict to those involved with the project, now when working with All Projects and applying a resource filter, can the leveling panel also show only the resource selected in the filter.

Not a bad idea. We shall discuss it in here and maybe even implement it. Thanks for the suggestions. ;)
tiberiu

Postby coach01 » Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:37 pm

tiberiu wrote:
coach01 wrote:Just got done working with v4.2 and I've got to say this is the first time I've participated in a forum associated with a software package where I've actually seen the implementation of topics and functions I've requested. It is refreshing and much appreciated to have a voice. You are doing excellent work and hit my request perfectly. Thank you and keep up the good work!

Glad to hear that :) May we use your words as a testimonial on our website?

Yes, of course.
coach01

Postby tiberiu » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:16 pm

coach01 wrote:Can we add that view to the leveling panel in Gantt?

Basically you can see the load on resources by adding the Load data type in the resource chart area.
Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 16.14.37.png
Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 16.14.37.png (27.44 KiB) Viewed 5866 times
tiberiu

Postby coach01 » Thu Jan 10, 2013 3:57 pm

tiberiu wrote:
coach01 wrote:Can we add that view to the leveling panel in Gantt?

Basically you can see the load on resources by adding the Load data type in the resource chart area.
Screen Shot 2013-01-10 at 16.14.37.png

Ahhh, operator error. Was looking for a button to do that. Forgot to try the right click on the header. Thanks! Perfect.
coach01

Return to Features discussions